Do Kegel Exercises Work?
Well the short answer is yes. The longer answer is not always because most women do not do them correctly and consistently. The first mistake most of us make is thinking that exercising just our Kegel muscles will cure stress incontinence. There are 3 muscle groups in your pelvic floor that form a triangular shape and work together to hold of some sling-like tissue that supports your inner organs. Kind of like a trampoline for your insides. To strengthen your pelvic floor, all three of these muscle groups need to be engaged in the exercise routine. So, from now on let’s call these pelvic floor exercises, not Kegel exercises. 3 steps to Kegels that work:
- Learn to do them properly. Exercising your pelvic floor means squeezing from the front and the back. Go ahead, lay down on your back and contract your Kegels (the muscles that help you withhold the flow of urine). Hold for 5-10 seconds. Release for 5 seconds. Repeat ten times. Now contract you anal muscles the same way. It feels like your holding back gas. You may have had to do that once or twice… Hold 5-10, release 5, repeat.
- Try strengthening your pelvic floor with an aid. Kegel exercisers come in many different forms and sizes are a big help for a couple of reasons.
- For some people, having an aid encourages them to actually do the exercises everyday.
- Inserting a vaginal egg or kegel balls actually helps you to engage all 3 of your pelvic floor muscles at the same time.
- A weighted tool works like resistance training for your pelvic floor. Get results faster.
- If you are not seeing results, DON’T GIVE UP. Go see a Pelvic Floor Therapist. Pelvic Floor therapists are trained to help you with strengthening and rejuvenating your pelvic floor muscles. They have many tools and processes at their disposal and work with you individually to see what’s best for you. Their expertise is your gain.
Bottom line- If you pay attention to your pelvic floor muscles, you will enhance your quality of life.
- Combat stress incontinence ie. Less leaking when you laugh.
- Support your inner organs and keep them where they are meant to be.
- Strong PC muscles=Better Sex…you can feel more and control more. Try the squeeze and release during intercourse.